Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Best Banana Pancakes Ever

Discovering a really amazing breakfast place right up the street from our apartment took our weekend from "really great" to "completely off the chain." We set out Sunday morning intending to try Mama's, a little cafe up the street from us that seems to be pretty famous for their brunch. When we arrived, the line stretched half a block out of the tiny establishment. We considered waiting, but at 11 o'clock, it was already way past my feeding time as by this time of day I've usually had a meal and at least one snack. I had become very quiet which is what happens just before my blood sugar drops to dangerously low levels and I become unjustifiably angry about everything and nothing at the same time, so we knew we had to act quickly. We decided to save Mama's for another day and head deeper into North Beach, and area known for its restaurants. As we passed restaurant after restaurant and found none of them serving breakfast, we began to wonder if Mama's popularity wasn't more due to the fact that it's the only brunch spot in the neighborhood than the fact that it serves delicious food. Just when I was sure we weren't going to find a place to eat breakfast and I was going to have to gnaw off my left arm to stave off starvation, Adam spotted an awning proudly displaying the word "Breakfast." We were saved!

We headed over to Mo's , unsure of what to expect. Through the front windows we could see into the kitchen where cooks were making enormous omelets and other traditional breakfast fare. Inside, it felt like a old diner, with glass on top of the tablecloths and pictures of Marilyn Monroe on the walls. I was expecting a decent meal, but I was surprised when I bit into some of the best pancakes I've ever had! They were full of really ripe banana and perfectly crispy on the outside. I didn't even need syrup, they were that delicious. I have seriously been thinking about them all week and can't wait to go back this weekend for more!

This picture makes me hungry...
Adam's omelet was pretty delicious as well. The menu says they're made with three eggs, but those must be some pretty big eggs because these omelets are enormous! And the home fried potatoes had Italian seasoning on them, which may sound a little strange for breakfast but was really, really good. Plus they serve fresh-squeezed orange juice. If you live in San Francisco, run out and get breakfast at Mo's. ASAP. And if you don't live here, come visit me and I'll take you!

Mo's is located at 1322 Grant Ave. in North Beach (They also have a location at the Yerba Buena Gardens). Visit their website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment